Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thing 20

This thing takes time, but it's well worth the effort.

To begin with, I read the article Literary Debate:Online RU Really Reading .

Among other issues, this article discusses how the internet affects reading skills. For example, Nicholas Carr,a teen who was interviewed for this article states that "what the net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation" and "he finds it difficult to read long books". However,the article also points out that there are those who believe that some students benefit from their internet use. For example,Elizabeth Birr-Moje, a professor at the University of Michigan who lead a study on teens and internet use, says that "on the internet students are developing new reading skills that are neither taught or evaluated in school", and she goes on to say that "giving home internet access to low-income students appeared to improve standardized reading test scores and school grades". The article states that "these are the kids who would typically not be reading in their free time."

I think I agree with professor Donna E. Alvermann, a professor of language and literary education at the University of Georgia who says that "books aren't out of the picture, but they're only one way of experiencing information in the world".

I also watched the video promoting Kindle 2/wireless rading device. According to this video, this device holds 1,500 titles.I think this is great and personally love the device. However, the average book for purchase will cost around $350. And, I could never afford such a luxury.

In addition, I also explored the resources listed below books on your phone, reader's advisory, online book community, book group, audio books, book rental, and book swaps.

There was so much to explore and most of it was so new to me. I'm glad I now have these resources for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment